PS4 software update 2.50 will introduce Suspend/Resume to games, Sony confirms
PS4 system software 2.50, codenamed Yukimura, will roll out soon complete with the long-awaited Suspend and Resume functionality for games, Sony Computer Entertainment has announced.
"When we unveiled PS4 two years ago, we announced Suspend/Resume, a feature that would enable PS4 users to jump in and out of their games faster than ever," explained Scott McCarthy, director, Product Planning & Software Innovation, Home Consoles, SCE. "This has been a feature gamers have been excited about since then, and today I am honoured to officially confirm that system software update 2.50, codenamed 'Yukimura', will soon deliver Suspend/Resume, as well as a number of other requested features to PS4."
With Suspend/Resume players will be able to pick up a game exactly where they left of. When you're done gaming put your PS4 in Rest Mode and when you power up the next time, you'll start your game where you left off - dependent on the software title in use.
Update 2.50 also includes:
- Sub-account to master account upgrade: Users with a sub-account will now be able to upgrade to a master account directly from their PS4 when they turn 18, removing restrictions for chat, enabling users to fund their own wallet, make purchases and more. Currently, users can upgrade their sub-accounts online.
- Facebook friend search: Gamers globally have jumped into PS4 as a redefined social gaming experience and connecting with friends over the network is a huge part of what makes the PS4 community so special. PlayStation now lets you go even bigger by connecting with your Facebook friends on PS4 using your linked account. Search for Facebook friends who are PSN members and build on the foundation of Friends you already have in your list.
- Remote Play & Share Play at 60 fps: The ability to customise the frame rate of Remote Play and Share Play will be added with "Yukimura". Play to your bandwidth strengths and use this option to stream gameplay at 60 or 30 fps when using Remote Play or Share Play.
- Accessibility Options: "Yukimura" introduces a wide variety of options to make the PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colours on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DUALSHOCK 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.
- Trophy Improvements: We have received a tonne of feedback to improve Trophies. In "Yukimura", a screenshot will automatically be captured at the moment a Trophy is earned, making it easier than ever for you to share your greatest gaming moments with your friends. We’re also adding more sorting options along with the new ability to remove games from the Trophy list that have 0% completion.
- Share Video Clips to Dailymotion: When sharing standout PS4 moments via the Share button on DualShock 4, "Yukimura" will allow players to upload directly to Dailymotion.